Monday, March 12, 2012

Starting A Conversation

You can use the expressions to start a conversation on
phone.
• Hello. This is ....
• Hello. ... speaking.
• Can I speak to ....
• May I speak to ....

You can use the expressions to extend a conversation
on phone.
• Hold on, please.
• By the way.
• Furthermore, ....
• Moreover, ....

You can use the expressions to end a conversation.
• See you then. Bye.
• I’ll call you later.
• All right. See you again, Sir/Ma’am. Thank you very
much.

Example:
Ika                   : Hello
Yeyen              : Hello, Mia. This is Diane. May I speak to Andre, Please?
Mia                  : I’m sorry but he’s gone out. Would you like to leave a message?
Yeyen              : Yes. Please tell Viktor that I won’t be able to come for taekwondo practice this afternoon. I’ve sprained my ankle. Please tell him to inform Mr Suroso that I can’t have the practice for at least a week.
Mia                  : Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. I hope your ankle gets better soon.
Yeyen              : Thank you, Mia.
Mia                  : Hold on, please. Have you seen a doctor?
Yeyen              : I haven’t. I don’t think it’s that bad.
Mia                  : I think you’d better go to the doctor to check your ankle.
Yeyen              : Thanks for the advice, Mia. See you then. Bye.
Mia                  : You’re welcome. Bye.

Taken from: English in Focus Grade VIII


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...