Sunday, March 11, 2012

Asking for Help

To ask for someone’s help, you could use these
expressions:
• Can you help me, ...?
• Please, help me.
• Can you do me a favour, please?
• Would you be so kind as to ...?

To give help to someone, you could use these
expressions:
• Let me give you a hand.
• Here, I’ll do it for you.
• May I help you with ..., Sir/Ma’am?

To reject someone’s help, you could use these
expressions:
• No, it’s not necessary.
• Thank you for offering, but ....

To admit a fact, you could use these expressions:
• Yes, I admit it.
• Yes, I did ....
• Yes, it’s true.

To deny a fact, you could use these expressions:
• I’m not lying, Dad. (actually you lie).
• No, I didn’t say that. (actually you said it).
• The �� ower smells good. (actually the �� ower smells
bad)

Example:
Heechul           : Yen, can you do me a favour, please?
Yeni                 : Of course, what can I do for you?
Heechul             : Would you be so kind as to take care of my cat. I’m going to Bogor tomorrow to visit my uncle, he is sick. I’ll be there for about two days.
Yeni                 : I’d be very happy to take care of your cat. I love cats.
Heechul           : Great. Thanks.
Yeni                 : Should I bathe it?
Heechul           : No, it’s not necessary.

Taken from: English in Focus Grade VIII

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...