Monday, March 12, 2012

Asking Information

You can use the expressions to ask for information.
• Do you know ...?
• Can you tell me ...?
• Excuse me Sir/Ma’am
• I’d like to know ...?

You can use the expressions to give information.
• Yes. Just go .... (telling a place)
• Yes, I do know that. It ....

You can use the expressions to deny information.
• How do you know that?
• are you sure? As far as I know ....
• I’m really sorry, but ...

Exaample:
Mr Kingsley is on a summer vacation in a town. He is trying to
get to the bank but he doesn’t know how. He is asking someone
for the information.

Mr Kingsley     : Excuse me, do you know where the first National Bank is, Madam?
Miss Hana       : Yes. Just go straight down this road and the bank is on your right, Sir!
Mr Kingsley     : Thank you very much, Madam. By the way, can you tell me how to get to the
subway station from the bank?
Miss Hana       : Sure, you have to take the no. 12 bus and get off in Burbank street. The subway station is there.
Mr Kingsley     : Are you sure? As far as I know the guide book informs us that we have to take the no. 14 bus.
Miss Hana       : You’re right. I confused the no. 14 bus with the no. 12 one.
Mr Kingsley     : Thank you, Madam. Have a pleasant day.
Miss Hana       : You’re very welcome, Sir.

Taken from: English in Focus Grade VIII

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...